Common Rule Resources
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and 15 other federal departments and agencies announcement and publication of a Final Rule (82 Fed. Reg. 7149) to revise the Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects (the Common Rule).
- Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) information on the revisions to the Common Rule.
- Useful resources from Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R) about the revised common rule.
- NIH Announcement on the Extension of Effective Date for Final Policy on the Use of Single Institution Review Board for Multi-Site Research – this policy will apply to all competing grant applications for due dates on or after January 25, 2018.
- The Council on Governmental Relations (COGR) submits a joint association letter to OHRP to request a delay in the Common Rule compliance date
- CITI Program resources help understand the revisions to the Common Rule
- Common Rule Changes announcement to campus – June 2017
- How will the Common Rule revisions impact research studies at UMBC
The new regulations will not impact studies approved prior to January 19, 2018
For new studies, expect to see:
- IRB application changes
- Informed consent template revisions
- UMBC IRB webpage page updates
- UMBC IRB standard operating procedure updates
- Minor ORPC processing time changes to facilitate workload changes
Stay tuned to this web page for future updates
last updated August 29, 2017