All investigators, advisors and research team personnel (staff, students, and volunteers) who participate in the design and/or the conduct of human subjects research (including exempt research) must be appropriately trained in the protection of human subjects. Note that persons participating in the research who will not have any contact with human participants or identifiable data are not required to take this training.
All personnel must complete the below highlighted modules before the IRB provides approval. UMBC uses one source of training. Follow instructions below. For more information, general UMBC human subjects use information can be found on the UMBC IRB Page. UMBC may accept evidence of training (e.g. certificate of completion) from another institution. Please forward these documents to email@example.com for review.
Questions or issues regarding training? Click this link: Research compliance feedback and reporting research concerns.
PLEASE NOTE: Several human subjects use training modules on CITI Program website will be updated to reflect changes as a result of the revised Common Rule. CITI informs us their website will be taken off line in the evening of January 19 to modify the content of modules with revised Common Rule information . They expect the CITI Program website to be available to learners beginning the morning of January 20, 2019. No changes to module ID numbers or gradebooks (courses) are planned, so past course completion dates are to remain the same.
CITI Program Human Subjects Use Training
IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL HUMAN SUBJECTS USE TRAINING MUST BE REPEATED EVERY 5 YEARS.
- Click on the University of Maryland, Baltimore County Single Sign On (SSO) login link on the CITI Program’s website. You must use your myUMBC login credentials to access the training modules in CITI. Click here for more information.
- Persons with a current CITI login will be directed to their current CITI course list.
- If you do not have a current CITI login, you will see this screen. Click on the appropriate link and follow the below instructions
- Click on Register link in top right.
- Set up an account for yourself – in “Select Your Organization Affiliation” section, make sure to select “University of Maryland, Baltimore County” by typing it in box. Then follow the rest of the instructions to create your account.
- When asked “Which courses do you plan to take”- choose “Basic Human Subjects – Social and Behavioral Focus.”
- Scroll to “Question #1” and under “Human Subjects Courses” choose one of the following…
-Researchers conducting less than minimal risk research (participant contact, exempt research)
-Social/Behavioral Research Course (participant contact, expedited/full board research)
-Research with pre-existing data, records data or laboratory specimen (use of secondary, pre-collected data)
-Health Privacy and Information Security (basics on HIPAA and techniques for data and device security)
-GCP – Social and Behavioral Research Best Practices for Clinical Research – Basic Course (provides fundamental knowledge of clinical trial quality standards for designing, conducting, recording and reporting trials that involve human research participants)
- Once courses selected “Finalize registration”, and complete courses.
- The ORPC will be electronically notified of your training completion. Your instructor/supervisor, though, may require evidence of training completion. Contact the ORPC for details.
Additional Training Opportunities
UMBC’s Office of Research Protections and Compliance provides a wide variety of training. ORPC has presented to departments, labs and administrative groups on campus. We would be more than happy to meet with you or your unit. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.