Restricted Party Screening

UMBC hosts a number of international scholars each year from around the world. The Office of Research Protections and Compliance collaborates with hosting departments, the Office of General Counsel and International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) in UMBCs Center for Global Engagement to perform export compliance review for the preparation of Visitor Agreements.

UMBC is required by federal regulations to monitor assignments to its facilities of foreign persons, meaning those who are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (i.e., possessing a valid “green card”), or persons granted asylum or refugee status. Persons planning to work at UMBC holding a temporary visa (F, H-1B, J-1, etc.) will be treated as a foreign person for export control purposes.  International visitors requiring an export review could include tenured faculty, research faculty, technicians, post-doctoral candidates, students, student interns, business visitors or other faculty and staff categories. Sharing export controlled items to a foreign person, even in the US, is an export called a Deemed Export, which requires UMBC obtain a license authorizing release from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) before we can legally share that controlled item.

For more information about what is required to host a visitor, please click on any of the below link. Questions? Please contact the ORPC at 410-455-2737 or

Please see the CGE website for Immigration and Travel Alerts

Foreign Person Restricted Party Screening

Visitor Agreement for Adults

Restricted Party Screening FAQ’s

return to Export Control site