- Google Voice — 410-929-3643 (e-mail is strongly preferred)
- Office Phone — 410-455-2837 (e-mail is strongly preferred)
- Office — ITE Building, Room 220
- Laboratory — ITE Building, Room 201B
Current Roles at UMBC
- Associate Vice President for Research Development
- Director of the Center for Space Sciences and Technology (CSST)
- Director of the Assistive Visualization and Artificial Intelligence Lab (AVAIL)
- Academic appointments in:
- The Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
- The Department of Physics
- The Imaging Research Center
Education and Professional Experience
- 2011 onward — UMBC
- 2010-2011 — Senior Consultant — Deloitte
- 2009-2010 — Postdoctoral Fellow and Medical Physics Resident — Johns Hopkins University
- 2007-2008 — APS Senior Science Policy Fellow — Washington, DC
- 2006-2007 — AAAS/APS Congressional Fellow — Office of Rush Holt (NJ-12)
- 2001-2006 — Physics Ph.D. — University of Pennsylvania
- 2000-2001 — Computer Science Sc.M. — Brown University
- 1998-2000 — Math-Physics Sc.B. — Brown University
- 1996-1998 — Math, Physics, Computer Science, and Astronomy major — UMCP
- Fall 2019 — CMSC 463/636: Data Visualization
- Fall 2014 — Physics 100: Ideas in Physics
Selected Grants, Contracts, and Awards (as PI, Co-PI, or Research Advisor)
- “Center for Research and Exploration in Space Science and Technology II (CRESST II)” (Subaward PI)
04/01/2017 – 03/31/2022 – (Subaward PI starting 02/12/2019 )
NASA Cooperative Agreement – current obligation: $25,585,595
UMBC Participation in JHU-APL CIRCUIT Program
04/24/2020 – 12/31/2020
- “EAGER: Learning Language in Simulation for Real Robot Interaction” (Co-PI)
12/01/19 – 11/30/20
NSF Award #1940931 – $219,516
- Undergraduate Research Award to Danilo Symonette (as Research Advisor to awardee)
Academic Year 2019-2020 – $1,500
- Undergraduate Research Award to Caroline Cocca (as Research Advisor to awardee)
Academic Year 2019-2020 – $1,500
- “Understanding, Assessing and Improving Student Teamwork (Implementation & Research Grant)” (Co-I)
07/01/19 – 06/30/21
Hrabowski Innovation Fund – $27,736.
- “Pi Squared Founding Sponsorship”
06/30/16 – 06/29/19
Next Century Corporation – $50,000
- “CS 10K: Collaborative Research: A Structured CS Principles Approach to Professional Development for Maryland High School Teachers”
(as Research Advisor to the students supported on this award’s REU supplement)
09/11/13 – 12/11/2018
NSF Award #1339265 – $876,125
- “NCCoE – FY17 Research.”
04/01/16 – 09/30/17 (Co-PI)
MITRE Award – $73,445.
- “MRI: Acquisition of π², a CAVE2-Inspired Display for Discovery Science, Creativity, and Education”
09/01/15 – 08/31/19 (PI)
NSF Award #1531491 – $377,994
- “CC*IIE Networking Infrastructure: Enabling Big Computing and Data Intensive Cyberinfrastructure (EBCDIC)”
09/01/14 – 08/31/17 (Co-PI)
NSF Award #1440477 – $500,000
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Rohan Ahuja, Daniyal Khan, Sara Tahir, Magdalene Wang, Danilo Symonette, Simon Stacey, Shimei Pan, Don Engel. 2020. Can Machine Learning Help Instructors Understand How Student Teams Are Performing? In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education. Accepted.
- Kaur Kullman, Laurin Buchanan, Anita Komlodi, Don Engel. 2020. Mental Model Mapping Method for Cybersecurity. In the 22nd International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction. Accepted.
- Mark Murnane, Don Engel, Stephen Freeland, Lee Boot, Mark Jarzynski, Katrine Lindvig, Line Hillersdal, and David Earle. 2020. Extending CoNavigator into a Collaborative Digital Space. In Companion of the 2020 ACM International Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP ’20). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 127–130. DOI:10.1145/3323994.3369890
Rohan Ahuja, Daniyal Khan, Danilo Symonette, Shimei Pan, Simon Stacey, and Don Engel. 2020. Towards the Automatic Assessment of Student Teamwork. In Companion of the 2020 ACM International Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP ’20). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 143–146. DOI:10.1145/3323994.3369894
- Rohan Ahuja, Daniyal Khan, Danilo Symonette, Marie desJardins, Simon Stacey, and Don Engel. 2019. A Digital Dashboard for Supporting Online Student Teamwork. In Conference Companion Publication of the 2019 on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW ’19). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 132–136. DOI:10.1145/3311957.3359490
- Engel, D., Murnane, M., Trenholm, N., Daniels, B., & Halverson, J. (2019) Open-Source Presentation of Spherical Content on Repurposed Hardware. Proceedings of IEEE VIS 2019.
- Mark Murnane, Max Breitmeyer, Francis Ferraro, Cynthia Matuszek, and Don Engel. 2019. Learning from human-robot interactions in modeled scenes. In ACM SIGGRAPH 2019 Posters (SIGGRAPH ’19). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 1, 1–2. DOI:10.1145/3306214.3338546
- Carter, J., Delahanty, D., Strasser, J., Knoedlerr, A., Wilson, G., Davis, R. and Engel, D. (2019) Operational and Fiscal Management of Core Facilities: A Survey of Chief Research Officers. Journal of Research Administration, Volume L, Number 3.
- M. Murnane, M. Breitmeyer, C. Matuszek and D. Engel, “Virtual Reality and Photogrammetry for Improved Reproducibility of Human-Robot Interaction Studies,” 2019 IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces (VR), Osaka, Japan, 2019, pp. 1092-1093. DOI: 10.1109/VR.2019.8798186
- Bender, G., Lehmann, A., Zou, H., Cheng, H. Fry, H., Engel, D., Therien, M., Blasie, J., Roder, H., Saven, J., & DeGrado, W. (2007) De Novo Design of a Single-Chain Diphenylporphyrin Metalloprotein. Journal of the American Chemical Society 129(35), 10732- 10740.
- Engel, D., (2006) Natural protein motifs and their use in design. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Pennsylvania.
- Geremia, S. Di Costanzo, L., Randaccio, L., Engel, D., Lombardi, A., Nastri, F., & DeGrado, W. (2005) Response of a Designed Metalloprotein to Changes in Metal Ion Coordination, Exogenous Ligands, and Active Site Volume Determined by X-ray Crystallography. Journal of the American Chemical Society 127(49), 17266-17276.
- Engel, D. & DeGrado, W. (2005) α-α Linking Motifs and Interhelical Orientations. Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics 61, 325-337.
- Lahr, S., Engel, D., Stayrook, S., Maglio O., North, B., Geremia, S., Lombardi, A., & DeGrado, W. (2005) Analysis and Design of Turns in α-Helical Hairpins. Journal of Molecular Biology 346, 1441-1454.
- Engel, D., Senes, A., & DeGrado, W. (2004) Folding of helical membrane proteins: the role of polar, GxxxG-like and proline motifs. Current Opinion in Structural Biology 14, 465-479.
- Engel, D. & DeGrado, W. (2004) Amino Acid Propensities are Position-Dependent Throughout the Length of α-Helices. Journal of Molecular Biology 337, 1195-1205.
- Engel, D., Charniak, E., & Johnson, M. (2002) Parsing and Disfluency Placement. In Proceedings of the 2002 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, pages 49-54.
- Engel, D., (2001) The utility of filled pauses, interjections, and parentheticals in parsing conversational language. Master’s Thesis, Brown University.