All persons involved in whose research activities must understand the underlying principles of responsible conduct of research that will assist in discouraging research misconduct and questionable research practices.
All graduate students, undergraduate students and post-doctoral associates who are funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) must complete one of the below highlighted modules. UMBC uses one source of training. Follow instructions below. For more information, general UMBC responsible conduct of research information can be found on the UMBC RCR Page. UMBC may accept evidence of training (e.g. certificate of completion) from another institution. Please forward these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
CITI Program Responsible Conduct of Research Training
IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL RESPONSIBLE CONDUCT OF RESEARCH TRAINING MUST BE REPEATED EVERY 4 YEARS.
- Click on the University of Maryland, Baltimore County Single Sign On (SSO) login link on the CITI Program’s website. You must use your myUMBC login credentials to access the training modules in CITI. Click here for more information.
- Persons with a current CITI login will be directed to their current CITI course list.
- If you do not have a current CITI login, you will see this screen. Click on the appropriate link and follow the below instructions
- Click on Register link in top right.
- Set up an account for yourself – in “Select Your Organization Affiliation” section, make sure to select “University of Maryland, Baltimore County” by typing it in box. Then follow the rest of the instructions to create your account.
- When asked “Which courses do you plan to take”- choose “Responsible Conduct of Research.”
- Scroll to “Question #3” and under ” Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Courses ” select the course that is relevant to your discipline or course of study:
– Biomedical Research
– Social and Behavioral Research
– Physical Science Research
– Humanities Research
– Engineering Research
- Once courses selected “Finalize registration”, and complete courses.
- The ORPC will be electronically notified of your training completion. Your instructor/supervisor, though, may require evidence of training completion. Contact the ORPC for details.
Additional Training Opportunities
UMBC’s Office of Research Protections and Compliance provides a wide variety of training. ORPC has presented to departments, labs and administrative groups on campus. We would be more than happy to meet with you or your unit. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
National Ethics Center – CORE Digital Library
- Active Learning Exercises
- Teaching materials include lectures, handouts, trigger videos, role-play activities, and other materials that can assist the development of RCR education curricula
- Materials to use to meet the NSF requirements for Responsible Conduct of Research
Other institutional examples
- American Association for the Advancement of Science – Integrity in Scientific Research Video Series
- American Psychological Association – Care on Animal Research and Ethics (CARE) Video Series
- Association for Practical and Professional Ethics – research ethics workshops and seminars
- Center on Materials and Devices for Information Technology Research – interactive tutorials on RCR
- Ethics Core Digital Library – National Center for Professional & Research Ethics – multimedia educational materials and research literature
- Ethics Education Library – Ethics Education Resources in Engineering & the Sciences – case studies and best practice examples
- National Academy of Engineering – online Ethics Center for Engineering and Research
- NIH Bioethics Resources – information for biomedical and behavioral researchers
- NIH Office of Extramural Research – FAQ’s and ethics information
- Office of Research Integrity – ORI RCR “casebook” Office of Research Integrity – “The Lab”
- Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R) – resources for biomedical, social science, behavioral and education research
- Resources for Research Ethics Education – research ethics education resources and tools
- Syracuse University – Video Vignettes on Research Ethics and Academic Integrity
- UC Davis/ Office of Research Integrity – Lab Management Video Vignettes
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln – Responsible Conduct of Research Video Vignettes
UMBC’s Office of Research Protections and Compliance provides a wide variety of training. ORPC has presented to departments, labs and administrative groups on campus. ORPC has presented to departments, labs and administrative groups on campus. We would be more than happy to meet with you or your unit. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.