Summer Faculty Fellowships (SFF) support non-tenured, tenure-track UMBC faculty pursuing research and scholarly projects during the summer, including projects in all departments. Fellowships may not be used to complete research leading to the Ph.D. or another terminal degree and are intended primarily as salary support.
Non-tenured, tenure-track faculty who have held academic appointments at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County for less than five (5) years are eligible for this program.
Friday, February 10, 2017
Maximum SFF award is $6,000.
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following:
- Quality of project and significance in its field;
- Likelihood of attracting follow-on funding – where appropriate;
- Ability of applicant to carry out work; and
- Feasibility of completion of the project within the funding period.
Priority will be given to faculty members who have not previously received SFF funding. Reviewers will take into account the rankings and justifications provided by department chairs.
As established by the Faculty Senate, total SFF funding will be allocated as follows:
- 50% – College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
- 20% – College of Engineering & Information Technology
- 20% – College of Natural & Mathematical Sciences
- 10% – Discretionary (e.g., Erickson School of Aging, School of Social Work, Centers)
Faculty submit SFF proposals online. After the application deadline, department chairs will be invited to rank the SFF proposals from their department based on the Evaluation Criteria (above) and to include a justification for their ranking.
How to Apply
Apply using the web form at http://research.umbc.edu/sff-apply.
Don Engel, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President for Research